When was the last time you woke up on Monday morning, excited about the week and what it has in store for you? If the answer is not “yesterday,” then it’s time to reignite the flame that used to be there. Passion, purpose and excitement come with knowing that you’re living your life in a significant way.. But it’s understandable that life can’t feel like that 100% of the time: distractions happen—but when you have defined your purpose and identified the guideposts by which you live your life, even the daily distractions can’t keep you from reaching your goals!
“The heart of human excellence often begins to beat when you discover a pursuit that absorbs you, frees you, challenges you, or gives you a sense of meaning, joy, or passion.” ~Terry Orlick
A sense of purpose gives meaning and significance to our lives. We each need a why to live for! If you have a purpose, you can endure anything to reach your goal. When you realize that you are capable of defining your mission in life, then it begins to drive you forward with a momentum that is unlike any other. A purpose takes us on a journey away from the monotony of merely existing— but how do you begin to understand what your mission is?
Think of your success as having several pieces that add up to a whole. Many of us only think about one or two aspects of our lives when we jot down goals and think about planning, when it really requires a much deeper involvement. Each area of life needs your attention in different ways, so it’s important to identify specific goals within those aspects of your life to evolve as a person and grow towards your own version of success.
“True happiness… is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.” ~Helen Keller
Here are some tips to help you Take Back Your Power and own your purpose:
- Write down your goals in each area of your life (family, friends, career, fitness, ect.). Make them very specific and attainable.
- Build your goals into your schedule.
- Get into the habit of asking yourself why.. Why do I spend my money the way that I do? Why do I spend my spare time the way that I do? Many times, this doesn’t corelate to our goals and we don’t even realize it. But when we direct our attention to it, we can begin to consciously change our tendencies!
- Want to march to your mission. Is it something you want desperately? It should be! Speak your vision into fruition. Let others know about your goals and even have some of your trusted friends hold you accountable. You CAN do it if you want it desperately enough— life isn’t long enough to waste time with wishful thinking. It requires action!
- Faithfully follow through. Keep working at it! No one ever succeeded without long term loyalty through thick and thin. You’re placed on this Earth to live your life without regrets. What is it that you want to accomplish more than anything else? Put the time in and work on it, and you’ll be surprised with the results!
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ~Maya Angelou
Once you’ve set specific goals, and begun working diligently towards your mission, you begin to understand how a purpose drives excitement and significance to your life. It changes everything! Success is ahead of you on your journey, not behind you. There is only one life you get to live on this Earth, and your success is waiting for you just around the corner! Own your purpose!